Covid 19 Response
Harbour Users are directed to the current Government advice relating to the Coronavirus pandemic, restricting travel to:
- shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
- one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
- any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
- travelling to and from work, but only where you cannot work from home.
Recreational boating is contrary to this advice and has the potential to place extra strain on emergency services.
The following closures have been made and will stay in effect until further notice:
- Itchenor car park
- Itchenor showers
- Itchenor ferry service
Harbour Dues Plaques 2020
Harbour users are reminded that harbour dues are payable on all vessels in the Harbour including those afloat in marinas, and these may be purchased online or by calling the Harbour Office on 01243 512301.
However, the Conservancy is aware that restriction on travel will make it difficult to ensure that harbour dues paid plaques are promptly displayed on vessels already afloat. Checks on vessels afloat will continue to confirm that harbour dues have been paid, but the regulations requiring plaques to be displayed as proof of purchase, will not be enforced while the current government advice prevails.
The Conservancy will continue to patrol the Harbour during this period, to monitor the security of vessels on moorings, and ensure the Harbour remains safe for navigation.
Walking, running and cycling in Chichester Harbour AONB
Travelling for exercise is classed as non-essential travel. Please follow the advice and exercise by walking, cycling or running from your home address. The footpaths and Salterns Way cycle path remain open but please only use these if you can do so from your home address and maintain a distance of 2 metres from any other people you encounter.
To support the government’s efforts to minimise the spread of Coronavirus, the Conservancy has put the following measures in place:
- Public events advertised on our website or in the Harbour Life magazine up to the end of May have been cancelled.
- Friends of Chichester Harbour work parties up to the end of May have been cancelled.
- The Harbour Offices at Itchenor and Emsworth have been closed to visitors. If you wish to renew harbour dues or other charges, please refer to the online payment instructions in your renewal email. If you need to make changes or pay new charges, please contact the Harbour Office preferably by email to email@example.com.
- If you have a general enquiry, please check the information on our website first or call 01243 512301.
The Conservancy team remains operational with staff working from home and minimum manning at Itchenor. We are working hard to minimise any effect this has on the level of service for Harbour users, on our responsibilities as Statutory Harbour Authority and for the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
We will keep all Government advice under review and any further information or changes to our operation will be published on our website as the situation evolves.
For the latest government advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
Catch up with what's going on around the Harbour in our regular blog.